[THUG2][PC] How to fix the Blur Bug.

Tutorial forum for Tony Hawk games.
Forum rules
No requests, use other sections for that. TAG your titles [THAW][THUG2] etc.
Anteara

[THUG2][PC] How to fix the Blur Bug.

Postby Anteara » Fri Jan 28, 2011 12:42 pm

Hi, This tutorial is aimed at people who don't want to use any mods, but still want to get rid of that pesky blur bug.

Before the tutorial starts, if you don't have the original scripts in your game/data folder, download them here
Dutch,qb_scripts.prd
French,qb_scripts.prf
English,qb_scripts.prx

First extract the .zip then Inside "qb_scripts.pr*" directory right click the scripts folder and select copy
Navigate to game/data/, rename your current scripts folder to make a backup
Right click somewhere inside game/data/ directory but not on an object and select paste

How to dummy Qb_scripts.prx

Once you have the scripts folder in place, you will now need to dummy your qb_scripts - this is very simple and easy to do;
Make note of the extension in the name of the scripts file you downloaded above, the last letter is different.

1) Go to your game/data/pre folder.
2) Locate qb_scripts.pr*, where * matches the letter of the scripts directory you downloaded above.
3) Back up the file, and move it to anywhere you want.
4) Make a new file in the game/data/pre folder, name it qb_scripts.pr* (Make sure you remove the .txt file extension so it's not qb_scripts.pr*.txt)

Now that you've dummied your qb_scripts.prx, the game will now run from the scripts folder. You will need to use THUG2.exe to launch the game.

How to fix blur bug in THUG2

If you're playing the game on windows vista or windows 7, you will notice that if you use focus, use a teleporter, or are in the mainmenu, a weird blur bug will appear, well, this is how you fix it;

First Download the command tool
Then Download qb_old.exe and place it in the same directory as roq cmd 3.exe
Copy any scripts you want to decompile into the same directory
Open roq cmd 3.exe and select the "Exe" tab and type the name of the exe you're using to do your compilation in the text box, "qb_old.exe".
Select the "Decompile" tab and the list on the left should be populated with scripts found inside the tools directory.

Open Skutils.txt, and press CTRL + F, type "blur", press enter. You will now see these functions;

• :i function $kill_blur$
  • :i function call $pulse_blur$ arguments
  • :i function $pulse_blur_script_down$
  • :i function $pulse_blur_script_up$

Go to each of these functions, and highlight the start of the function (EX, :i function $kill_blur$). While still highlighting, scroll down until you have highlighted ":i endfunction". Then delete the function. Do this for all 4 functions. When you're done deleting the functions, save the file, and exit notepad.

7) Go back to CMD, and type qb_old.exe -c skutils.txt", This will create a file called skutils.txt.qb - Delete skutils.qb, and rename skutils.txt.qb to skutils.qb

Now you're done, you can run the game from THUG2.exe and there will be no blur bug.

If you want to play online and you can't, this is how you fix it;

How to play online with no mods

Things needed:
  • Hex editor
  • Cracked THUG2.exe

1) Open THUG2.exe in a hex editor.
2) Press CTRL + F at the same time, type "motd" and press enter.

You will see this;

Edit the contents of it so it looks like this, replace the remainder of the first web url and the whole 2nd URL with 00 bytes.

It should now look like this

Congratulations! You can now play thug2 with no mods online, and without the blur bug :)

Edited by moderator
eyesrfallingn

Re: [THUG2][PC] How to fix the Blur Bug.

Postby eyesrfallingn » Mon May 09, 2011 7:26 am

I tried the blur bug fix, and in cmd when I typed in "qb_old.exe -d skutils.qb > skutils.txt" it said Access denied.. How to fix?
Eraser
Site Admin

Postby Eraser » Mon May 09, 2011 8:00 am

If you're using vista/w7 there may be a problem with permissions even if you're logged in as administrator. Are you logged in as administrator?

Right-click on skutils.qb go to properties and security tab. Everything should be ticked as allowed, if it's not, click edit button (To change permissions click Edit.). You may need to do the same with every qb file so the best thing to do is right-click on the scripts folder and do the same as you did to skutils.qb before.

If it still doesn't work try doing the same with qb_old.exe
Anteara

Postby Anteara » Mon May 09, 2011 8:58 am

eyesrfallingn wrote:I tried the blur bug fix, and in cmd when I typed in "qb_old.exe -d skutils.qb > skutils.txt" it said Access denied.. How to fix?

Do what Eraser said, also, make sure you're running cmd as admin.
eyesrfallingn

Postby eyesrfallingn » Mon May 09, 2011 10:53 am

cool beans thanku! i changed to admin running cmd, no more blur!! thanku both for ur help:):):)
tricky57

Postby tricky57 » Mon Jul 04, 2011 9:17 pm

Doesn't work for me :/

It say that it's no an intern or extern command or something like that..

Can you help me please ?
Anteara

Postby Anteara » Tue Jul 05, 2011 11:48 am

tricky57 wrote:Doesn't work for me :/

It say that it's no an intern or extern command or something like that..

Can you help me please ?

Please be more descriptive... what program gives the error, and what is the error in its exact wording?

After what step does the error occur? etc. Also, this tutorial does work, try it again, perhaps you did something wrong.
tricky57

Postby tricky57 » Tue Jul 05, 2011 6:37 pm

So I think I don't have a good using of cmd.

Here is what I've got :

http://img11.hostingpics.net/pics/633385Sanstitre1.jpg

I'm french ^^ so I translate it for you :

'qb_old.exe ' is not acknowledged as internal or external order, an executable program or a file of order

That's my problem :/
Anteara

Postby Anteara » Wed Jul 06, 2011 10:52 am

The reason it's not working is because you're still in C:\Users\Guillaume and not D:\Jeux\Jeux Videos\Tony Hawk\Game\Data\Scripts\Game.

C:\ and D:\ are either different hard drives, or different partitions, You can't access D:\ from inside a folder in C:\.

Firstly, Type this;

Code: Select all

cd C:\

then type

Code: Select all

cd D:\
if that doesn't work, try just "cd D:" or simply "d:\" (without the cd) or "d:".

Then when you're in the D drive, locate the directory.

Alternatively (which might be easier for you), you can use roq cmd 3.exe, For this to work, all you haveto do is put it in the same directory as qb_old.exe, or roq.exe, just make sure to change the compiler name in roq cmd 3, the qb also has to be in the same directory as qb_old.exe and roq cmd 3.exe.
tricky57

Postby tricky57 » Wed Jul 06, 2011 10:51 pm

It's works ! :D

Thanks a lot for everything ! :)
jjjj

Postby jjjj » Sat Sep 10, 2011 10:25 pm

I was so glad to find a tutorial here so that I won't have to install a mod (which will add tons of stuff I don't want and need) to take care of this annoying focus bug.
I'm stuck at step 5, when I type "qb_old.exe -d skutils.qb > skutils.txt" and hit enter, the next command line appears. Shouldn't it take some time to compile the files? However, skutlis.txt is created in the ..\Data\scripts\game directory and I can open the file as well. But it only says "Couldn't open file!", none of the functions you mentioned are there, only this one line. I gave full access to the whole script folder and right clicked cmd.exe to run it as administrator.
Suggestions on how to solve this? Any help would be very appreciated.
jjjj

Postby jjjj » Sun Sep 11, 2011 12:26 am

No, file extensions are not hidden. That can't be the problem.
Anteara

Postby Anteara » Tue Sep 13, 2011 4:18 am

jjjj wrote:No, file extensions are not hidden. That can't be the problem.

download roq cmd 3, it's a gui based program, which means you won't have to use command line, it will be much easier for you. Just remember to change the compiler name from roq.exe to qb_old.exe.

roq cmd 3 also displays compiling errors in its console so if you do get an error you can post the error here and we can definitely help you.

roq cmd 3 is somewhere on this site, just search. I know that WhoElseButMe has posted it somewhere.
jjjj

Postby jjjj » Tue Sep 13, 2011 8:09 pm

Thanks for the help, Anteara.
Now I'm one step further. I was able to decompile skutlis.qb into skutlis.txt, deleted the four mentioned functions, saved and compiled it to skutlis.txt.qb, renamed it to skutlis.qb and copied it back to the Game\Data\scripts\game folder. But now if I start the game, the bluring is still there, in the main menu, when going through portals and when using focus. Anything to do with the .OCX files which came along with the download of roq cmd?

EDIT: Oh, and what's up with the skutils.qb_table.qbi file? Is it necessary to put it in the directory, too? Tried it, still blurry. :wat:
Anteara

Postby Anteara » Tue Sep 13, 2011 11:01 pm

No, it's nothing to do with the .OCX. The .OCX is just so the program can display the errors inside the console, I think.

And the .qb_table.qbi file is nothing to worry about. When you decompile the qb, it creates the qb_table so it can "remember" the function names. It does this by storing a checksum for each function name. When you compile, it will reference the function name, and use the checksum, instead of the text name. That probably doesn't make sense but you don't need to worry about it, it's irrelevant for this.

It's still blurry because either;

1) You haven't dummied the .prx file properly, or

2) You didn't remove the functions properly.

How to dummy Qb_scripts.prx

Once you have the scripts folder in place, you will now need to dummy your qb_scripts.prx - this is very simple and easy to do;

1) Go to your game/data/pre folder.
2) Locate qb_scripts.prx
3) Back up the file, and move it to anywhere you want.
4) Make a new file in the game/data/pre folder, name it qb_scripts.prx (Make sure you remove the .txt file extension so it's not qb_scripts.prx.txt)

Now that you've dummied your qb_scripts.prx, the game will now run from the scripts folder. You will need to use THUG2.exe to launch the game.

If you don't understand that I'll explain it further for you.

In the simplest terms, when you launch the THUG2.exe file, it looks for a .prx file to run it's scripts from. A .prx file is essentially every single script, just compressed in to one file. If there is no data in the .prx file, it can't use the .prx file, so it's forced to use the scripts folder.

So in what I've quoted, essentially what you're doing is creating a new blank file, and renaming it to qb_scripts.prx

It should work if you do everything properly, I know that it works, so if it doesn't work, it's a 100% chance that you've made a mistake somewhere.

Respond here if it does/doesn't work when you do these extra steps.

Return to “Tutorials”