MHPB PKR files

Any kind of PC or console emulated games hacking related discussion should be posted in here. No online games requests.
Forum rules
Trainers are usually made for a specific game version and will stop working if the game is updated.
Samarasz

MHPB PKR files

Postby Samarasz » Wed Jul 21, 2010 8:35 pm

Hey

can somebody help me with unpacking these cause i don't know how

Sam
WhoElseButMe

Re: MHPB PKR files

Postby WhoElseButMe » Thu Jul 22, 2010 4:49 am

If you really want help you should start off by spelling out the games full name for those who don't actually play it.
Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2 use .pkr files, have you tried the THPS2 tool yet?
It can be found in the modding tools section of this site.
Try "AllPkrEdit" as it has the ability to unpack and repack if memory serves me correctly.
WhoElseButMe on Nov 26, 2009 wrote:It's that lack of respect amongst their peers and ignorance towards modding etiquette that keeps us who know this stuff well, from spreading it like wild fire. We do still enjoy playing the game and if you need to cheat to play a game PLAY SOMETHING ELSE YOU DON'T SUCK AT.
Eraser
Site Admin

Postby Eraser » Thu Jul 22, 2010 7:30 am

Yes, the pkr editor should work on the game because it's based on thps2 engine (or thps2 is based on MHPB engine).
Samarasz

Postby Samarasz » Thu Jul 22, 2010 6:17 pm

ok thanks i will try
Samarasz

Postby Samarasz » Thu Jul 22, 2010 6:24 pm

it didn't work all i get is this

Eraser
Site Admin

Postby Eraser » Thu Jul 22, 2010 7:02 pm

Try other pkr unpakers. By the way it worked, but you can't read what is what so it would be really hard to change something.
Samarasz

Postby Samarasz » Thu Jul 22, 2010 8:53 pm

can't unpack anything too it says something in german when i try

i translated it and it says that i didn't choose any data

the folders won't open too
WhoElseButMe

Postby WhoElseButMe » Thu Jul 22, 2010 11:12 pm

While it appears the data is incorrect the tool is looking for certain data in the header of the file and/or certain locations within the file to read data from, it IS returning the proper data from those locations its just not the right location.
In other words the .pkr files for MHPB are formatted differently than THPS2.
WhoElseButMe on Nov 26, 2009 wrote:It's that lack of respect amongst their peers and ignorance towards modding etiquette that keeps us who know this stuff well, from spreading it like wild fire. We do still enjoy playing the game and if you need to cheat to play a game PLAY SOMETHING ELSE YOU DON'T SUCK AT.
Samarasz

Postby Samarasz » Fri Jul 23, 2010 11:57 am

Is there a source code of this program?
maybe i can try to make it work for the Matt hoffman pro bmx game.
WhoElseButMe

Postby WhoElseButMe » Fri Jul 23, 2010 1:14 pm

Doubt you're going to find source code for that dated tool, you'd be better off building your own.
Not to mention its in VB, yuck.
Samarasz

Postby Samarasz » Fri Jul 23, 2010 8:51 pm

i do vb and i made a good tool with it

http://thps-mods.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=493

you can convert a thps song with it
you should check it out its easy too

but anyway how do i build my own then?
WhoElseButMe

Postby WhoElseButMe » Sat Jul 24, 2010 5:46 am

I guess programing languages are a personal preference and if you know VB then why spend the countless hours learning another language unless it's job related. I personally prefer c++.

Samarasz wrote:but anyway how do i build my own then?

You need to figure out the file structure.
Find data types that you could reference. 00040700 (thaw pak data type for sectionscript)
We'll just say that data type above is found in the a .pkr file. There's data within the header after the data type that will give you more information like size of the image or script in compressed or uncompressed size or both, start of the data, etc. If you were to figure all types out you could start by reading in the file and then dumping the data as individual files. You'll need to be able to recognizes most, if not all data types of data if you wish to edit them manually so you would want to dump a .bmp as a .bmp not as a text file of the bytes if you understand what I mean.
Samarasz

Postby Samarasz » Sun Jul 25, 2010 1:52 pm

No, i don't get it is there an tut on youtube or forum where i can find out how to do it?

thanks for your reply anyways it really clears some things up for me
WhoElseButMe

Postby WhoElseButMe » Sun Jul 25, 2010 2:20 pm

Stuff like this has to be done from scratch, you could probably find tutorials on how to read and write data to a file but it will still boil down to you needing to figure out the .pkr file structure yourself in order to handle it with a tool that you'll be creating yourself.
Samarasz

Postby Samarasz » Sun Jul 25, 2010 4:54 pm

i found some intresting stuff here

http://www.darklock.com/thps/pklayout.html

it cleared some thing up for me

plus that i saw something about the structure of the pkr file

The existing process is the same as it's always been: manually compress the proper files into a ZIP file, naming them according to the internal structure of the PKR file

but i dont now how to create something like that in vb so thats shitty

but anyways thanks for your help

Return to “Single player games modding”