Launcher Malfunction?

Discuss thug2 modding, post your own, share your ideas, ask questions.
bryantobrienqgz

Launcher Malfunction?

Postby bryantobrienqgz » Thu Mar 16, 2017 5:11 am

Anyone run into an issue where the launcher refuses to execute, and keeps saying that "The launcher must be run from the THUG Pro directory" even when all the files ARE in the correct directory? The game launches and everything, but I can't configure any options or my controller, so I can't do anything. Tried repairing the install multiple times; no dice. Any suggestions?
WhoElseButMe

Re: Launcher Malfunction?

Postby WhoElseButMe » Thu Mar 16, 2017 6:51 am

There's a file that's being checked that isn't in that directory.
It doesn't just check for thugpro.exe.
Can you take a screenshot of you appdata/user/local/thugpro/ directory
WhoElseButMe on Nov 26, 2009 wrote:It's that lack of respect amongst their peers and ignorance towards modding etiquette that keeps us who know this stuff well from spreading it like wild fire. We do still enjoy playing the game and if you need to cheat to play a game PLAY SOMETHING ELSE YOU DON'T SUCK AT.
bryantobrienqgz

Postby bryantobrienqgz » Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:53 pm

WhoElseButMe wrote:There's a file that's being checked that isn't in that directory.
It doesn't just check for thugpro.exe.
Can you take a screenshot of you appdata/user/local/thugpro/ directory

Thanks for checking in, and screenshot attached. I'm also gonna try to repair the install again, but with my antivirus off, in case that it is preventing something from downloading.
Capture.PNG
Screenshot of directory
Capture.PNG (31.07 KiB) Viewed 18719 times
WhoElseButMe

Postby WhoElseButMe » Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:29 am

How are you executing the launcher?
Does it happen if you run the launcher from the directory directly?
There aren't conflicts with your files and perhaps the "shortcut" you're using to run the launcher isn't a shortcut but instead a copy of the launcher.
WhoElseButMe on Nov 26, 2009 wrote:It's that lack of respect amongst their peers and ignorance towards modding etiquette that keeps us who know this stuff well from spreading it like wild fire. We do still enjoy playing the game and if you need to cheat to play a game PLAY SOMETHING ELSE YOU DON'T SUCK AT.
bryantobrienqgz

Postby bryantobrienqgz » Fri Mar 17, 2017 1:07 am

I have been launching directly from the install directory. I tried running it as is, tried running as an admin, and it still gives me the same message. Two things to note though, now that I'm not half-asleep:

1) When I originally ran the installer, there were no files in the directory other than the binkw32.dll, the updt.dll file, and the data folder. All the other files installed where I ran the setup exe (not sure if this is what was supposed to happen). None of the files worked, so I assumed I had to put them in the correct directory.

2) I do have THUG 2 installed in a different HDD, since my C drive is a somewhat small SSD.
bryantobrienqgz

Postby bryantobrienqgz » Fri Mar 17, 2017 1:15 am

Finally got it working!
I decided to do a clean install (deleted all thug pro files and cleaned registry with ccleaner), re-install everything with my anti-virus turned off, and boom! It all works now. I'm guessing the antivirus or firewall must have prevented something from downloading, or deleted certain files. Thanks for the help, though!
WhoElseButMe

Postby WhoElseButMe » Fri Mar 17, 2017 5:20 am

You wont ever need to run thugpro as admin, just an fyi.
The location of the game shouldn't matter either since we ask where it's located.
Probably the anti virus like you said.
Glad it's working now.

Return to “THUG2 modding”