THUG2 Sound format

Discuss thug2 modding, post your own, share your ideas, ask questions.
ThAEm

THUG2 Sound format

Postby ThAEm » Sun Jan 27, 2013 3:48 am

Is there a way to convert a sound in THUG2 into a .wav file? If so, then reply.
Ever seen a Pichu that can do 120 down the freeway?

Call me ShOscar, cuz ThAEm is dead.
WhoElseButMe

Re: THUG2 Sound format

Postby WhoElseButMe » Sun Jan 27, 2013 5:26 am

Search the forums next time and you would've already had your answer.
They are basically just xbox encoded wav files and you need the xb_abpcm codec
I found this laying around there might be a more recent version somewhere on the internet, take your chances trying to find another or just download the one i supplied.

And the music is in .bik format just pick up rad game tools and you can play those back.
WhoElseButMe on Nov 26, 2009 wrote:It's that lack of respect amongst their peers and ignorance towards modding etiquette that keeps us who know this stuff well from spreading it like wild fire. We do still enjoy playing the game and if you need to cheat to play a game PLAY SOMETHING ELSE YOU DON'T SUCK AT.
ZurePitchmen83

Postby ZurePitchmen83 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:02 pm

WhoElseButMe wrote:Search the forums next time and you would've already had your answer.
They are basically just xbox encoded wav files and you need the xb_abpcm codec

That codec only works in Windows 2000/XP IIRC, If he uses Vista or newer, He would need to find another version of it, Which is pretty hard

EDIT:Turned out that the codec isn't compatible with THUG2 *.SND files found in the game's sound directory, But it does work with the *.PCM files found in the *.PRE containers, If you want to convert those to *.WAV, You can use Audacity in Windows WASAPI Mode, Play the file in Windows Media Player, And record playback in Audacity, But if you want to export a sound, That's gonna be a problem, Because the game uses the sounds from the directory, Not the *.PRE files, And exporting to *.SND format is yet to be uncovered, More info on the *.SND format can be found here
Last edited by ZurePitchmen83 on Mon Jun 30, 2014 3:35 am, edited 2 times in total.
THPS4 Level Expansion Pack, THUG2 710 Mod 1.0
Modding and Model ripping since 2009
Demo

Postby Demo » Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:14 pm

this codec is not for pc snd files, apparently it does work on seven and it can play thps3 xbox sounds.
WhoElseButMe

Postby WhoElseButMe » Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:44 pm

Works fine on my windows 7 machine and it works fine with the snd files from thug2
The codec was mainly released here so they could play the sounds from the streams/pcm/ folder that are located inside dat/wad files. Which are wav files.
WhoElseButMe on Nov 26, 2009 wrote:It's that lack of respect amongst their peers and ignorance towards modding etiquette that keeps us who know this stuff well from spreading it like wild fire. We do still enjoy playing the game and if you need to cheat to play a game PLAY SOMETHING ELSE YOU DON'T SUCK AT.
Demo

Postby Demo » Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:01 pm

i checked the file header, it is 4 bytes shorter in snd than in xb_adpcm specification, and codec type is set to 01 which is for plain pcm. if i try to play unmodified file, it results in white noise and if i try to change to 69 (which is codec id) it is not recognized at all. did you change anything else?

btw i'm talking about sounds folder.
WhoElseButMe

Postby WhoElseButMe » Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:52 pm

Demo wrote:i checked the file header, it is 4 bytes shorter in snd than in xb_adpcm specification, and codec type is set to 01 which is for plain pcm. if i try to play unmodified file, it results in white noise and if i try to change to 69 (which is codec id) it is not recognized at all. did you change anything else?

btw i'm talking about sounds folder.

Another codecs might be what's allowing the snd files to play and i'm not sure which it could be.
This codec is for the wav files found through out TH games that aren't standard wav files and typically carry the .pcm extension in pre containers

download this file, then right click, open with, select windows media player
Windows media player will give some warning about not recognizing the file type .pcm play it anyways, enjoy.

Edit again:
here's another version of the codecs which specify s its use with x64 systems
WhoElseButMe

Postby WhoElseButMe » Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:50 am

It appears those snd files are just garbage white nose files.
I've converted them to several different formats and the output is always the same.
Pull the sounds from the dat/wad or from the pre's.
Demo

Postby Demo » Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:02 am

sounds folder is used, its removal will cause no sound in game.
those files apparently are not garbage, they are obviously same sounds, but coded differently. you can find "Pro Tools" tag somewhere in info chunk. the fact that codec id is 01 forces converters to input it as raw pcm, hence the noise. it reminds me the THPSHD "fake" codec as they invert 01 to FEFF.
however since we have the xbox pcm leftovers it doesn't matter indeed, but it's impossible to convert sounds back to ug1-2 pc format atm.
WhoElseButMe

Postby WhoElseButMe » Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:26 am

sounds seem to play fine in the rip version and the sounds are missing
Really whats the point behind all of this?
Demo

Postby Demo » Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:18 am

at least in both full t1 and t2 most sounds in game are gone if you just remove sounds folder.
Demo

Postby Demo » Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:11 pm

just checked 1 click installer, there are snd files
WhoElseButMe

Postby WhoElseButMe » Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:40 pm

I've never installed the 3 click installer i do have a version of the original rip and it doesn't have snd files, but they are certainly there in the full release
not sure the relevancy with them or not maybe when I have a little more time I'll see why this rip doesn't have them.

Return to “THUG2 modding”