No more ALL.PKR file :D

General/other thps modding discussion
Demo

No more ALL.PKR file :D

Postby Demo » Tue Oct 18, 2011 3:33 pm

With all respect to kamilonuxmetal for his work on PKR packer/unpacker - you don't need it anymore :P

To run your game with extracted files in th2 folder, do as follows:

1. Open UnPKR
2. Right click any folder and select "extract all", extract it in any temp folder.
3. Go to folder with extracted data, there will be folders:
audio
adata
anewtex
anewbmp

rename them to
audio
data
newtex
newbmp

4. Move these folders in your thps2 directory
5. Delete existing ALL.PKR file.
6. Create new text file and rename it to ALL.PKR.
7. Run THPS2 and be happy :D

it actually works, here's little "proof" - i replaced hangar floor with 512x512 texture by just replacing bmp file :D

hope this will help th2 modders (if someone is still "alive" xD) or maybe someone can try to make HD conversion for th2 map.

Edit: yeah and if you want original (psx) textures (found by LedIris), just remove newtex folder :P
Last edited by Demo on Sun Aug 13, 2017 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Demo

Re: No more ALL.PKR file :D

Postby Demo » Tue Oct 18, 2011 6:36 pm

dude you got something wrong. this is just the way to play with unpacked files. not with one single package. it is MUCH easier when you can separately edit what you want without compiling new ALL.PKR every time.
Demo

Postby Demo » Tue Oct 18, 2011 7:58 pm

you know not everyone is a good programmer. to make nice level texture mod there's no need to know any algorithms. to write a nice explorer for ONE game i have to waste my time. why should I, if i can extract it and play? for my part, i like to see files as they are in any other th pc game - in folders, and you know, disk space (omg 200mb) is not a problem nowadays. should i really waste my time for unneeded actions, if i can edit it faster than using existing tools?

you say "unknown formats"... i'm sorry then, but why i dont see zillions of new levels, skins, new models etc for these 10 years of th?? i'm just sharing the easy way how ppl can edit th2 files without packing tools. on my old pc one pack cycle was around 5mins.

it'll be very nice to have a tool with short-time access and direct editing, but now i know only import/export tools, which means open container, choose file, save it somewhere, edit it, open container again, import file into it. and to check edited thing in game do it each time. i'm th3 modder and for me it's much easier - edit file in folder, run game. that's all.

not to offend you or anyone else, long message but all that i wanted to say that everyone choose what he likes more. it's not laziness it's just little thinking before writing meters of code.
Demo

Postby Demo » Tue Oct 18, 2011 9:19 pm

you dont have to keep container anymore and as i know th formats doesnt use compression (at least th2 and th3) so the size wont increase drastically (188 vs 198 in thps2) . and even last pc games are small comparing to crysis, witcher, portal 2, gta 4 and so on. the only thing i may agree is file fragmentation.

surely those tools are poorly coded plus my system was old (as I said) and believe me or not it WAS packing about 4-5 mins (remember notepad, try to load even 3mb file there). also you have to rewrite whole 200mb block each time you use it and it's not very suitable for SSD owners for example. dunno if you ever tried to make level conversion (texture mod), but it's like change one texture, check how it looks in game and so on for 300 textures. much better if you only have to rewrite one image.

finally i cant understand why you judge me so hard? all depends on your needs, if you need disk image mounted, you use daemon tools, if you need just one file ripped, you may use winrar.

im not new, i was browsing different th forums for a while and i already have my own opinion about it: very few decent tutorials around, and most of really unusual and interesting mods are in state of eternal beta and dusting somewhere on hard drives instead being shared to let others continue it.
kamiloxnumetal

Postby kamiloxnumetal » Wed Oct 19, 2011 6:04 pm

ejeejjeje stop fighting xd...

my opinion:

i think your way with running the game with files and not with pkr is good when you are constantly editing the game, for example making a heavy mod to the game and constantly replacing files

but for releasing a mod to the others after you finishing that heavy edit is a good option to compress all in pkr, at least thps2 don't use compression but mhpb (you ask me the "extract all" button there) uses it, and nwer games uses a lot of compression
and packaging is a way of game designers to protect their job from modders XD

dont fight, i understand for a modder who don't know about coding is hard to be extracting the files and importing it in every edit, but don't think is a easy think to code, a "faster access" package editor, with instant edit and not import/export/save options, it requires a lot of caution with memory managment, much with big sizes of data like pkr packages, do you ever see a program called "allpkredit.exe" or something like that, that's is a instant editor, but it has a lot of errors, and sometimes when you overwrite a file it corrupts all the pkr, when i coded my tools i was looking for "stability", my tools don't have all the options of edition but they are stable, and i'm lazy so i don't code more options XD (don't worry i try to code the extract all for mhpb editor u ask, for the moment extract the files 1 by 1 jejeej)...

finally, that's textures looks really good
Demo

Postby Demo » Thu Oct 20, 2011 1:33 am

my aim was to get files, not to write a tool.

for my part writing a tool for 1 specific game is a kind of single script too, cause first you need to find out the container format, type of compression, then write a code for this specific format. even thps2 and mhpb packages aren't same... correct me if i'm wrong, i never worked with archives.

the one thing i also want to say. while game's developing, 3d artist doesn't write any converters, as well as programmer doesn't work on textures. community is a big team too, so why don't release a tool once instead of saying "do it yourself, it's too easy" to everyone? this attitude is killing me.
sairuk

Postby sairuk » Sat May 19, 2012 11:46 pm

sweet find demo, dunno why we never tried that back in the day
thps,info | thpsdump
mameau - My random bits | Wah!Ki - A Wah!Cade wiki
Zerve

Postby Zerve » Sat Mar 23, 2013 6:02 pm

Sorry for the bump, but why did one needed to HEX edit the exe to change the trigger entries anyway?
If you unpack the ALL file, go to the data folder and rename e.g. SKSCHL_T.TRG to SKSCHL2_T.TRG, you also got the school without any additional efforts or hex editing.
In fact, you can create your own list of favorite parks via this way quite easily.
Demo

Postby Demo » Sat Mar 23, 2013 7:04 pm

because somehow ppl back then missed this easy way to unpack all.pkr so they had to hex it.

edit: though if you'll check LevelPack here http://thps-mods.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1041 i hexed new trg names into exes, because it is better to have original Canada's aaCan_t.trg name rather then renaming it to skhan_t.trg or so.

Return to “Other THPS games modding”