THPS1 (PS1/DC) - How to modify soundtrack playlist and add region-exclusive music tracks?

General/other thps modding discussion
reynolds

THPS1 (PS1/DC) - How to modify soundtrack playlist and add region-exclusive music tracks?

Postby reynolds » Sun Dec 09, 2018 7:32 am

After reading this forum post, I wondered if it would be possible to insert the three tracks that were 'missing' from the NTSC and PAL versions of THPS1 and alter the game's internal playlist to play all six 'region-exclusive' tracks in an appropriate order. Potentially, I'd like to be able to do this for both the Playstation and Dreamcast versions of the game, but there are obvious technical limitations and other hurdles to surmount in order to do so (available disc space, file structure/programming differences, etc.).

If there's anyone out there that can help me out, educate me or point me in the right direction for hacking THPS1 specifically, or even confirm the actual feasibility of such a project, please let me know!
Demo

Re: THPS1 (PS1/DC) - How to modify soundtrack playlist and add region-exclusive music tracks?

Postby Demo » Sun Dec 09, 2018 11:35 am

you can easily replace music, but when it comes to adding stuff, it's really tough with the old games. it's pretty much hardcoded into the game to have 10 music slots. considering the file change date, pal tracks were like a last minute change. they actually replaced 3 existing songs with new ones. could be censored or they simply didn't have time to rewrite music code, we never know.

speed -> grand
vandals -> aim
evenrude -> aquasky

nstc-pal-st.gif
nstc-pal-st.gif (21.91 KiB) Viewed 12475 times

the easiest way is to add 2 songs in a single file, but it would only work in freeskate and you won't be able to turn those tracks on via menu. in general, for a proper patch you'll require advanced debugging skills for the console you're modding.

Return to “Other THPS games modding”