[THPS2][PC] Cumulative patch (Widescreen, FPS unlock, etc.)

General/other thps modding discussion
Catar4x

Re: [THPS2][PC] Patching stuff WIP

Postby Catar4x » Sat Apr 30, 2016 2:20 am

I managed to get the v1 working ! Good job Demo!

What i've done to run it :
- THawk2_small.exe needs to be renamed to THawk2.exe else nothing work
- Set always to run THAWK2.exe as Administrator in property for w10
So, a working v1 version, is a playable one, if the fov is broken, then the exe is not compatible at all.

But the v2, it still unpossible to run it :
- There is no checkbox to set the program to run as Administrator in patch.exe by default (property)
So i get a blackscreen (reboot required), even if the patch is started before the game is launched.

The v1 can be run as Administrator by doing a right click to patch.exe before starting the game, so no trouble.
I tried to launch v2 as administrator then starting THAWK2.exe as admin without launch.bat, no success too, i'm stuck.

Hope you can add this feature to the exe, thanks Demo.
Demo

Postby Demo » Sat Apr 30, 2016 9:39 am

well try to create a shortcut to patch.exe, let's say you called it "adminpatch".
go to shortcut's properties, Shortcut tab -> Advanced -> Run as admin checkbox.
then in bat file replace "start patch.exe" with "start adminpatch".

patch works with any process called THawk2, so don't rename other programs to that name hehe.
Catar4x

Postby Catar4x » Sat Apr 30, 2016 2:20 pm

Perfect, thank you once again! I have also to not run launch.bat as admin to get it to work.

Remaining issue I have on v2 :
- Main screen doesn't display the font of game category (THPS2)
- The wheel is blank if THawk3.exe is used as THawk2.exe (THPS1&4 suffer of this also)

Fixed levels name for THPS 2 & 3 & 4 :
- levelpatch.ini
- THPS1 : Fix reverse display of Skate Park/Downtown/Dowhhill Jam and Phoenix AZ/Chicago IL display like THPS2
- THPS2 : doesn't load THPS1 levels name anymore
- THPS3 : Fix reverse display of Los Angeles/Skater Island/Canada + Germany to Suburbia
- THPS4 : Display Little Big World & The Sewers

- Can you put the "New" of "Roswell New" where it's written "Mexico"? The display would be better.
- Same for Mall New York which is all in one.

- The THPS1 level : Warehouse - MHPB Factory S CA
=> Should be renamed : Hoffman Factory - Oklahoma City (like N64)

- Downhill on THPS3 doesn't have Brazil as a location

Improved launcher.bat :

Code: Select all

set current_folder=%cd%
cd current_folder
start adminpatch
start THawk2.exe

Will go directly to the current folder, no need to type something anymore

Playing with Korean OST :
- Replace THawk2.exe with the USA exe in the korean game, it'll only lack the korean skaters.

How to avoid rebooting PC when THPS2 crash :
- Open notepad in windows, type something
- When THPS2 crashs, push the shutdown button of your computer, then you can cancel the shutdown because notepad ask you if you want to save your text
Catar4x

Postby Catar4x » Sun May 01, 2016 8:43 pm

Updated D3D for 1080p rendering
Last edited by Catar4x on Mon May 02, 2016 7:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Demo

Postby Demo » Mon May 02, 2016 12:07 am

Catar4x wrote:Updated D3D for 1080p rendering

you're calling glide emulation wrong. what's the actual enhancement?

Catar4x wrote:- Main screen doesn't display the font of game category (THPS2)

screenshot maybe?

Catar4x wrote:- The wheel is blank if THawk3.exe is used as THawk2.exe (THPS1&4 suffer of this also)

It was literally the first downside listed in the OP, aight? you make it sound though like your thawk2.exe shows it with patch, but probably not. the wheel actually appears when you pick multiplayer, lol. thawk1-3-4 is based on the same exe and i believe it was smaller one.

Catar4x wrote:Fixed levels name for THPS 2 & 3 & 4 :

that's fine but do you really know what WIP means?

Catar4x wrote:Improved launcher.bat :

why exactly do you have to specify current path? is it related to admin rights? what happens if you don't specify it?

Catar4x wrote:How to avoid rebooting PC when THPS2 crash :

I see you've got some serious problems with thps2. it never goes worse than locking task manager outside your 640x480 area, but still there is a workaround - you can just log out and log in back.
Catar4x

Postby Catar4x » Mon May 02, 2016 2:41 am

Demo wrote:you're calling glide emulation wrong. what's the actual enhancement?

On the original ddraw.dll, i can play the original game without trouble but i can't run the game with the patch.
The game starts and the window suddently dissapear (probably due to trying a custom resolution i think).

When I replace all with dgvoodoo ddl at the root folder, the patch will start the game and boot in custom resolution (1920x1200).
In reality, when I tried to implement your patch on my game, i was already under dgvoodoo, certainly explain why i got it to work.

I can't really tell you if it enhance the graphics but it fixes at least the lauching of the patch on modern windows, this is confirmed.
Here's a screenshot if you want to check the graphics but the subject doesn't matter anymore.

Wheel bug details appears in custom resolution
640 480 THSP2 (no probs)
1920 1200 THPS2 | 1920 1200 THPS3 (bug)
(I have an orange windows screen filter, all is normal if you wonder)

i mean thawk2.exe display at least a part of the wheel menu, a kind of shade compared to nothing from THPS1/3/4 exe.

Demo wrote:that's fine but do you really know what WIP means?

No probs, i thought it was helpful for your "Work-In-Progress" project because i see it as a "progress" (in my own case at least).
Maybe you mean "WIP" as a full solo project with no various help from others?

Because theses mistakes were on the original levelmod (for THPS3) which got official releases years ago.
My goal was just to underline theses errors to you, take it as you want...

Demo wrote:why exactly do you have to specify current path? is it related to admin rights? what happens if you don't specify it?

Useless, i thought it was necesarry since a path was linked in the original file. (not a lot of .bat experience)

Demo wrote:I see you've got some serious problems with thps2. it never goes worse than locking task manager outside your 640x480 area, but still there is a workaround - you can just log out and log in back.

Argh, i thought that control+alt+suppr command wasn't allowed on thps2 due to alt+f4 disabled... i suck.
Demo

Postby Demo » Mon May 02, 2016 12:15 pm

Catar4x wrote:On the original ddraw.dll, i can play the original game without trouble but i can't run the game with the patch.
The game starts and the window suddently dissapear (probably due to trying a custom resolution i think).

When I replace all with dgvoodoo ddl at the root folder, the patch will start the game and boot in custom resolution (1920x1200).
In reality, when I tried to implement your patch on my game, i was already under dgvoodoo, certainly explain why i got it to work.

so you already was using glide emu when patch didn't work? when I launch it with glide, MSI afterburner still reports DDraw. the actual effect could be that it takes longer to load libraries, so exe has time to launch before thawk2 window will show up, hehe.

Catar4x wrote:Wheel bug details appears in custom resolution

"a kind of shade" is a part of backgroud bitmap. if you want shade on other images, you can add edit the images :P
Catar4x

Postby Catar4x » Mon May 02, 2016 1:52 pm

Demo wrote:so you already was using glide emu when patch didn't work? when I launch it with glide, MSI afterburner still reports DDraw. the actual effect could be that it takes longer to load libraries, so exe has time to launch before thawk2 window will show up, hehe.

It's confusing, i'll make it clear :
Your patch can only work with dgvoodoo emu enabled on my side.
I don't use Glide, i use the DirectX11 rendering option.

Demo wrote:"a kind of shade" is a part of backgroud bitmap. if you want shade on other images, you can add edit the images :P

Why not!
But "Career Mode/Single Session/Freeskate/Multiplayer/Cas/Park Editor/Options" second wheel is not loaded when running at a custom resolution, any ideas to fix it?

Maybe related:

Code: Select all

UnLoading GTricks
      Shell Screen: 0 - MAIN_MENU
   TEX too big. Better be used by D3DSprite...
Demo

Postby Demo » Mon May 02, 2016 5:58 pm

Catar4x wrote:Your patch can only work with dgvoodoo emu enabled on my side.
I don't use Glide, i use the DirectX11 rendering option.

you clearly don't understand what glide emulator is. back when the game came out, 3dfx was still around, hence it could render on both glide and directx. dgvoodoo basically translates glide calls to d3d calls, so you can play glide version on directx gpu. in this case however it doesnt even work properly, since it still uses ddraw. if it worked, you'd be able to force custom resolution without patch. like the only working option there is AA, but i guess you can force it with your gpu driver settings.

as of wheel, once again, I stated in the OP, that it's missing and i have to solve it yet. read stuff carefully.
Demo

Postby Demo » Sun May 08, 2016 8:53 pm

uploaded v2.1: http://levelmod.webatu.com/misc/th2patch_v21.7z
added proper skater island files, using th1-th3 level icons + 2 missing in levelpack, th1 and th3 gaps will work correctly now. well they should, apparently I didn't test all of them, but they're taken straight from psx versions. fixed some level names. left ??? in suburbia and shipyard. their exact location is not clear.

I found that some levels actually generate more polycount errors in widescreen. in tokyo it can't even load, but it loads if you change zoomfactor to 1,0.
Catar4x

Postby Catar4x » Thu Jun 09, 2016 10:43 pm

I found a possible way to fix the wheel bug in the main menu...

The latest version of dgVoodoo2 (2.5.2) can override the current resolution of the game : download

Then, in options.ini, I remove the line for custom height/width.
It seems to only work perfectly on the korean version, my original release of thps2 was fucked up with that.
Last edited by Catar4x on Fri Jun 10, 2016 1:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
Catar4x

Postby Catar4x » Fri Jun 10, 2016 1:12 am

Screenshots :
Demo

Postby Demo » Thu Jun 16, 2016 11:23 pm

well, it's not widescreen, you know. the game is virtually 640x480, so that's the aspect ratio you have as well. removing resx/resy is the same as setting them at 640x480, just in case. i noticed that if menu rendered in 800x600, wheel bugs already, but not as much yet. it disappears in 3/7 positions.

check this v3 test. you can change all options right away, detect button should set your desktop resolution. I changed the way it launches the game, now you click the button, it waits until it will find THawk2 process, patches and closes. you can create a shortcut with -F key to launch instantly. planning to move all the patch files in a subfolder, but only options.ini for now.

http://levelmod.webatu.com/misc/th2patch_v3prev.7z

_ENunn_

Postby _ENunn_ » Thu Jun 16, 2016 11:36 pm

YES IT FIXED MY ISSUES!

Thanks man.

EDIT: How can I get the MHPB levels? I can't find the mod anywhere.
lol hi
Catar4x

Postby Catar4x » Fri Jun 17, 2016 12:38 am

Thanks for the explanation, love the launcher !
Still require to create a shortcut of it to set it as admin by default on w10 again.

One cool thing, would be to adjust the hidden fog option on it.
Also, do you plan to do something about the in-game HUD? It's stretched.

Return to “Other THPS games modding”