THPS2 Crash on level entry & PSX music on PC?

General/other thps modding discussion
LC-DDM

THPS2 Crash on level entry & PSX music on PC?

Postby LC-DDM » Sat Feb 01, 2014 3:38 am

Alright, so... what's happening is I'm starting the game, go to Career (or Free Skate, both do it), pick my skater, but when the screen fades to black after I've chosen the level, it just... crashes. Exits out of window. No prompt, no error balloon, nothing.

If it helps, I'm running Vista. Yeah, I know.
Last edited by LC-DDM on Sat Feb 01, 2014 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Eraser
Site Admin

Re: THPS2 Crash on level entry?

Postby Eraser » Sat Feb 01, 2014 9:01 am

Are you using smaller thps2 crack? It always worked for me. Maybe try setting compatibility mode to windows 98 by right clicking .exe and selecting properties. It also exits the game if you are trying to somehow play in windowed mode or alt-tab.

http://thps-mods.com/cracks/THPS2crack.rar
LC-DDM

Re: THPS2 Crash on level entry & PSX music on PC?

Postby LC-DDM » Sat Feb 01, 2014 5:26 pm

Fantastic, thank you!

I've a different question now, however: Is it possible to get the PSX music onto the PC version of the game?
Demo

Postby Demo » Sat Feb 01, 2014 7:31 pm

why would you need this? psx had lower quality in any way
LC-DDM

Postby LC-DDM » Sun Feb 02, 2014 1:28 am

Well, I ask this because I assume it's not as easy to just port custom music onto the game itself.

Probably less of a nightmare than in UnderGround 2, but still a nightmare.
Demo

Postby Demo » Sun Feb 02, 2014 1:31 am

LC-DDM wrote:Well, I ask this because I assume it's not as easy to just port custom music onto the game itself.

Probably less of a nightmare than in UnderGround 2, but still a nightmare.

install rad game tools and there you go. it's actually easier to import any mp3 there than specific psx music, since that would involve prehistoric STR tools that never work properly on modern systems.

i can even link you to an ancient tutorial: http://planettonyhawk.gamespy.com/View. ... tail&id=60
LC-DDM

Postby LC-DDM » Sun Feb 02, 2014 2:36 am

Well, I guess I managed to royally screw up, because I just converted the song to BIK and renamed it to DAT and put it on the music folder, and all I'm getting is pure silence.
Demo

Postby Demo » Sun Feb 02, 2014 2:39 am

you can always listen output file in player as well. might be something wrong with your settings.
Eraser
Site Admin

Postby Eraser » Sun Feb 02, 2014 12:22 pm

LC-DDM wrote:Fantastic, thank you!

I've a different question now, however: Is it possible to get the PSX music onto the PC version of the game?

Both versions have the same music don't they?
Demo

Postby Demo » Sun Feb 02, 2014 2:52 pm

i checked this and i can tell that the reason you hear silence is that they changed bink format which clearly is not supported by the older plugin. it seems you cannot convert to the old format in newer video tools. the oldest i was able to find is 1.5q from 2002 and unfortunately it doesn't work properly on win7 so i can't tell if it works.

https://www.mediafire.com/?oqrqonzk6f6qscx
LC-DDM

Postby LC-DDM » Sun Feb 02, 2014 3:53 pm

Well, that didn't work either... I still get absolute silence. I don't even know what's going on anymore.

Eraser wrote:Both versions have the same music don't they?

The first 7 songs are some japanese music and the other 8 are the originals.
Demo

Postby Demo » Sun Feb 02, 2014 5:04 pm

you have installed korean finkl version of thps2 which was discussed here on forums. btw with original exe it contains 22 tracks in menu aka 7 finkl tracks + 15 original.

practically it only means that this rad install is not old enough. bad luck. i told already what's going on. they used bink library in 2000. short after devs changed bink format and the old plugin cannot play new files. try to find versions 1.0-1.2, those will work. can't really tell you how high your chances are though.

edit: scratch that. set compress level value to 100 and it will work. not an obvious solution i guess.
LC-DDM

Postby LC-DDM » Tue Feb 04, 2014 4:27 am

Nope, this is not the case for some reason. I have 100 on the "Compress to a % of the original", and I still get silence. I'm currently trying it out on "compress to a data rate", see if that's fruitful.

EDIT: Also, how the hell did the finkl person add seven more tracks to the game then?
Demo

Postby Demo » Tue Feb 04, 2014 1:35 pm

it is korean version of thps2. fin k. l. is a korean pop band and this it how they thought to attract attention to the game in korea. they also added 4 skaters, which represent this band singers, those are loosely retextured private carrera models.

the compress 100 works just fine since i got track played in th2. the version i used was 1.9g. will pm you the example.

here the proper exe for korean version
MrCarter wrote:Final crack (exit CD check removed): http://www.mediafire.com/download/zdt06 ... -final.rar

Please let me know if this works. I only tested it in Wine and can only semi-test on the Windows XP box as VirtualBox isn't that great yet at old 3D (this game uses DX7 and 16-bit).

Return to “Other THPS games modding”