THPS1 Levels in THPS2 on the PSX

General/other thps modding discussion
ps80

Re: THPS1 Levels in THPS2 on the PSX

Postby ps80 » Sat Nov 02, 2013 11:19 am

Demo wrote:i must had something different as c_cable, checked the backup, sizes are exactly as you wrote.

You had c_cable for THPS1 which is the size you said. If that's the case then the files for PC and PSX seem to be the same size. That means I can find all the level files if I can get the file sizes of the PC version.

I've read most of the threads on planttonyhawk about PC modding but wanted to try doing the same thing on the PSX.

Thanks to your help I've made loads of progress.
ps80

Postby ps80 » Sat Nov 02, 2013 11:44 am

Here's a few pictures of things I've got working. These are all in THPS2 for the PSX not PC.

First two are of SF showing the Van and Tram loaded in the level not the Bus and Train.
Third shows the braking glass in the Airport level.
Then LA and Shipyard working.
Then a few model swaps.
Attachments
THPS PSX Mod.jpg
THPS PSX Mod.jpg (694.78 KiB) Viewed 24771 times
Demo

Postby Demo » Sun Nov 03, 2013 1:36 pm

good job.

i actionly always wanted to try to enable single player level versions in splitscreen, would it work on actual psx and if yes will it lag?
i just swapped sl2 files on pc and played horse mode which loads splitscreen version, but it's pc.
ps80

Postby ps80 » Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:36 pm

I tried swapping the files with 2 in them for the corresponding files without to see if the 1 player level would load in 2 player but it wouldn't. I've not really had time to play around with this so I may have done it wrong.

I've had success swapping textures over so now SF has the SF image on the level select screen. I also edited the custom skaters face. I did try to edit a board but it didn't change when I loaded it.
ps80

Postby ps80 » Tue Nov 26, 2013 7:06 pm

I have THPS2 and MHPBMX for the PC now so have had a chance to look at the files. The ones in the PC version are exactly the same as the PSX ones. So I now have all the file names for the THPS2 levels. I tried the Fway and Fway_o files from the PC version with the Fway.Trg from the PSX beta and it loaded in THPS2. The PC .Trg has the wrong file names inside from what I could see.

The MHPBMX files appear to be zipped in the PC version but are still in the PSX format, again these have all the file names but I've yet to compare them with the PSX version. I couldn't get either program to open the WAD file for the psx version. Which program will split the WAD file? I just want to see if the PSX files are the same size as the PC ones.
Demo

Postby Demo » Tue Nov 26, 2013 8:59 pm

the freeway level, you can play it in levelpack on pc, but i think the trg file is more trashed than just wrong names, cause it plays rail sound when you ollie. though this could be sound ID issues. even though, it was available before. can't tell if he got the sound bug though, that vid got no sound.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oBhznXxlY5g

there it is, WAD tool for MHPB.
http://thmods.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=402

here's proper tool to work with mhpb pkr3 format. it also can unzip stuff.
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=796

MHPB files on PC and PS1 differ. i'm afraid pc port uses dreamcast PVR textures and modified PSX format, while ps1 version uses the original format. kamilonuxmetal few years ago tried to load mhpb pc files in th2 pc, but it didn't work properly cause of format changes. the best you can get by swapping textures is something like this and it'll work on pc only.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8dLHFQqtgtU
ps80

Postby ps80 » Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:21 pm

I'd seen it was available on PC, I'm just trying to get things to work on the PSX version. I know there's no real reason to but I just want to see if I can. The most I could find modded for the PSX version was SF, Jam and Ros.

The beta Trg is pretty small compared to the PC one but I didn't get a problem with sounds and the background is there. There's no background in that video and why is the bus driving through things? Is the bus in the original level or is it a glitch.

Thanks for the link to the WAD tool. I'll give it a try. From what you've said I don't hold much hope for getting the MHPBMX levels to load on the PSX but I'll give it a try, just so I can rule it out.

THPS PSX Mod Fway.jpg
THPS PSX Mod Fway.jpg (526.93 KiB) Viewed 24640 times
Demo

Postby Demo » Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:59 pm

if it'll work (which i doubt), you'll just get invisible map. ps1 files might be a better shot, but still, after factory fail i don't expect the rest to work properly.

not sure about bus, might be another level's trg file linked to load freeway instead.

btw i increased draw distance on new york and it loads fine on ePSXe, but due to hardware limitations, HUD and objects in foreground start to disappear. though i used enormous 32x multiplier, so not a big deal. i'm pretty sure it can be safely set at 4x. doesn't let you look at the other side of ny but at least you can see where you're going, lol.
ps80

Postby ps80 » Wed Nov 27, 2013 8:47 pm

I was planning to use the PSX1 files anyway just as soon as I've worked out what files are what.

Sorry to ask yet another question but how do you increase the draw distance?
Demo

Postby Demo » Thu Nov 28, 2013 4:46 pm

it is stored in trg files in autoexec node.

look for the main restart point in trg. you can check the actual name in game in skip to restart menu, but usually it's called Re_Start_Skate
there should be a list of restarts, not sure what it is used for.
after that 0x68 should appear, the next three words are parameters. the last one is draw distance.
usually it's 0x04. i think 0x20 is still fine, but i might be wrong.
i didn't mess with previous params though, that might affect drawing as well.

this will allow you to spawn better drawing distance in single player, but the actual patch would require to change this distance for each restart in the level.

hex.jpg
hex.jpg (50.17 KiB) Viewed 24578 times
ps80

Postby ps80 » Fri Nov 29, 2013 12:32 am

I gave it a try with Sl2 level and it seems to work best somewhere between 10 and 15, wonder why they set it so low.

I happened to load the Freeway level (as it was still in the file I was modding) and despite only having Fway and Fway_o files it loaded in 2-player. There is no sky just black and both skaters start on the same spot so one gets knocked over straight away.
ps80

Postby ps80 » Sun Dec 01, 2013 2:58 am

What are the .SFX files in the PC version? There seems to be one for each level. Are they the sound effects for the level?
Demo

Postby Demo » Sun Dec 01, 2013 3:33 am

not sure if they are even used, levels load fine if you remove those files.
ps80

Postby ps80 » Sun Dec 08, 2013 10:24 pm

I can't find the file AALA2o for the 2-player LA level any ideas?

I've got almost everything I wanted in one mod now.

The levels I have now are

San Fran THPS
Warehouse THPS
Burnside THPS
School 2 THPS2
Hanger THPS2 (this may be replaced with LA HABRA if I ever sort the files out and it works)
LA THPS3
Airport THPS3
College THPS4
Shipyard THPS4
Freeway THPS beta
Demo

Postby Demo » Mon Dec 09, 2013 12:17 am

pc version loads 2p version fine without it. uses aala_o instead, cause when you remove it, game freezes.

btw this is hanger, just saying
http://www.wired.com/images_blogs/photo ... ethree.jpg

Return to “Other THPS games modding”