THPS1 Levels in THPS2 on the PSX

General/other thps modding discussion
ps80

THPS1 Levels in THPS2 on the PSX

Postby ps80 » Sat Sep 28, 2013 6:51 pm

Hi I've just joined, hope my first post is ok. I tried searching but didn't find what I wanted to know.

I found a mod for THPS2 (PSX) by sairuk (I'm hoping that's the same sairuk that's on this site) That allows you to play three of the THPS1 levels in THPS2

Downhill Jam
Roswell
San Fancisco

I know it's possible to do all sorts of things with the PC version but were any of the other levels ever unlocked on the PSX version?

Thanks
Demo

Re: THPS1 Levels in THPS2 on the PSX

Postby Demo » Sat Sep 28, 2013 7:46 pm

even though those maps are in game archive on psx, there is practically no way to unlock them.
the reason is very simple.

the levels you've noted can be unlocked by replacing3 letters in filename in ps exe.
for example sk_han -> sk_ros will load roswell instead of hangar.

but the problem is that other maps use 4 letters instead of 3, like sk_mall or sk_schl.
it just doesn't fit there and will crash if you'll try to.

could be possible to rebuild hed/wad with new filenames if we'd have checksum generator, but it is unknown atm.

as i side note, i have thps1 with thps2 levels, but there is another problem, you can't grind any rail.
ps80

Postby ps80 » Sat Sep 28, 2013 8:49 pm

I'm glad to hear that, as it means I can bring something new with me :D

I've found a way to unlock ALL the THPS1 levels so you can play them in THPS2 on the PSX

I too had the problem with the names being four letters in THPS1 and only three in THPS2

I ended up using a Hex editor to move the THPS1 .trg files over the THPS2 .trg files so when the PSX looks for the THPS2 level it reads the THPS1 level data instead.
Demo

Postby Demo » Sat Sep 28, 2013 9:14 pm

oh well, of course that would work as well, if you're lucky enough to match all th1 trgs with larger th2 trgs, but i didn't expect anyone would bother to do this :P

edit: just thought this can be done easier, what if you use my tool to unpack wad and replace th2 trgs with th1? you can recognize them in hex as well. then pack back. sounds like it should work just fine.
http://thmods.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=224
ps80

Postby ps80 » Sat Sep 28, 2013 10:24 pm

ha ha, I wanted a challenge and was determined to get them all working. The biggest problem was the Downtown .trg it's bigger than any of the THPS2 .trg files but it seems to work over Philadelphia even though it flows over another file. I'm guessing it's a file used by Philadelphia which is why it has no effect when playing.

I think the same thing can be done in THPS3 for PSX as there are THPS2 .trg files on the disk. I've not checked THPS4 yet.

I'd seen the post for your tool. can you use it to edit the bitmap images then rebuild the file and reinsert it into the game? I found another Hed/Wad splitter but when you rebuilt the Wad file (even if nothing was changed) it was smaller than the original and so wouldn't work.
Demo

Postby Demo » Sat Sep 28, 2013 11:18 pm

it's funny how i wrote the tool and didn't even mind to use it here... that way worked just fine

ps80 wrote:I think the same thing can be done in THPS3 for PSX as there are THPS2 .trg files on the disk. I've not checked THPS4 yet.

nope there are neither th2 trg files nor mesh files on th3 cd. there is just new york leftover, but i think that didn't work.
but well, writing th3 files in th2 folder and then doing the same thing with trg files should work.
but i'd test th4 first, since i had problem with th3 levels in pc version.

ps80 wrote:I'd seen the post for your tool. can you use it to edit the bitmap images then rebuild the file and reinsert it into the game? I found another Hed/Wad splitter but when you rebuilt the Wad file (even if nothing was changed) it was smaller than the original and so wouldn't work.

using this tool you can edit anything and new file sizes do not matter, since it writes the new ones. the screenshot there is a very basic example of balance bar editing.
you're probably talking about kamilonuxmetal's tool for thps1, it does its work fine, just he didn't know about psx issue to have all files padded to 2048. so it doesn't work.

Last edited by Demo on Sun Aug 13, 2017 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ps80

Postby ps80 » Sun Sep 29, 2013 12:00 pm

I've downloaded the [PS1] WAD Tool Checksum file from the first post in that thread.

Would you mind talking me through your method please? I not great at using tools, which is why I took the long rout in my method.

I used CDmage to reinsert the Hex edited WAD file back into the .Bin file but that only works if the file size is the same as the original.
Demo

Postby Demo » Sun Sep 29, 2013 2:57 pm

actionly thps games on ps1 do not use any file offset methods, so you can simply unpack files anywhere, then rebuild using certain tools.
for example ultraiso in pscd mode, or Mode 2 CD Maker tool, which is aimed to create psx cd images from scratch.
to have a working cd you need only system.cnf, slus_***** or SLES_ (depends on pal/ntsc), cd.hed and cd.wad files.

now the wad checksum tool, it's pretty straightforward.
you pick unpack WAD, choose wad, choose folder, wait. files are in the folder you've picked.
change anything in the folder.
pick build WAD, choose folder you want to pack, input WAD name, there you are.
there is no way to get filenames, but it recognizes some extensions like bmp, trg, psx,vab.
at the very least it is useful to have checksums for all trg files instantly.

the downside here is that i never tested wad with custom file sizes and it seems that game doesn't like it very much.
the way to go is to either swap files, or replace them with trailing zeroes. but the latter will mess the level order.
Demo

Postby Demo » Sun Sep 29, 2013 7:17 pm

i found that th2 doesn't really like when files in wad are rearranged, even though file size is absolutely same.
here is hed patch instead: http://www.mediafire.com/download/363qi ... 746/CD.HED
level order is as in th1, except mall replaces skate heaven.

don't forget that you need to replace "c_van" with "c_bus" in wad to make san francisco playable.
ps80

Postby ps80 » Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:44 pm

Thanks for your tips with this. I had a go at the way you suggested and had some success but it coursed loads of glitches. I might not have done it quite right.

With the HED patch do I just insert it into the bin using CDmage? Because when I did the levels wouldn't load. I'm using the PAL version which might be the problem.

I see what you mean about the files in THPS3 I just happened to find the NY files first and thought the others might be there.

I was hoping that I might be able to get the Beta SF level into THPS2 or the MHPBMX demo level.
Demo

Postby Demo » Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:53 pm

yeah, i used ntsc version, should've note this. i simply found respective trg files and swapped their checksums in hed file.
reassembled wad seems to cause glitches even if nothing is changed, so it's not really your fault.

you won't get beta levels in final versions because they used slightly different model format.
probably you can enable freeway if it is there on ps1. it is on pc.
factory level could be tricky, like adding level files to the end of hed/wad.
ps80

Postby ps80 » Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:17 pm

Do you know of a WAD unpacker (doesn't need to repack) that gives the files the correct names? I have a WAD split for the THPS2 demo where all the files are named so it's easy to see skmar_t, skmar_o etc. but I don't know what programme was used to do this.
Demo

Postby Demo » Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:02 pm

unfortunately they don't keep filenames in wad since thps2. they have checksums instead.
so there are 2 versions of the tool, one for older wad with filenames and one for newer without them.

http://thmods.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=247
http://thmods.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=224

if you want to recognize trg files, open it in hex and look for "sk". you'll instantly find skbul, skhvn, skhan and the rest.
ps80

Postby ps80 » Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:25 pm

I guess the THPS2 demo used the old filenames

I'd found all the trg files. I thought I might try to get the MHPBMX demo level to load as it's on the same disc.

I can't just move the trg file as it points to places in the MHPBMX WAD which isn't loaded while playing TH so I thought maybe if I moved the bkfact_o bkfact_l and bkfact that the trg file looks for, over one of the TH levels it might load?

I don't really know what I'm doing, I just thought at some point the files tell the PS1 where to read on the disk to load the level if you see where I'm coming from. I might be way off with this?

I didn't know what I was doing at the start when I got the THPS1 levels working I was just going on a similar idea and started moving files about in a hex editor until things started loading.
Demo

Postby Demo » Thu Oct 03, 2013 12:28 am

it would work to replace all 4 files including trg, but the tricky part here is to recognize proper files needed.
but to find a blind match of 4 files, you'll need eternity.

the brute approach i may think of is:
pick a level to replace
check file sizes on pc version
find exact file sizes in checksummed psx files
assume they are same (i'm not sure if they actually are, but let's hope)
replace those files found with factory files

Return to “Other THPS games modding”