THPS1 Levels in THPS2 on the PSX

General/other thps modding discussion
ps80

Re: THPS1 Levels in THPS2 on the PSX

Postby ps80 » Sat Oct 05, 2013 12:24 am

I've managed to get the Van and Tram into San Francisco. What level is the moving police car from? I had it driving around SF. Is it just a left over from the beta SF?

I have the four Bkfact files (as they are named) so I guess it's easiest to place them over a THPS1 level like Skros. I think I then need to edit the Bkfact trg file to look for Skros files as they will now contain the bkfact data.
Demo

Postby Demo » Sat Oct 05, 2013 2:00 am

the answer is yes.

for the second part, i think it is better to replace some th2 level, since they will be unused
don't forget there is one more level slot, so you can have all th1 levels and factory in a single patch.
ps80

Postby ps80 » Sun Oct 06, 2013 3:22 pm

San Francisco wont load on my Playstation now I've added the Tram.

I just copied the C_cable file from THPS1 (That's the Tram) and pasted it over C_mar as it's it's the only THPS2 vehicle I could find the file for, then changed C_cable to C_mar in the SF trg file. It loads fine on psxfin, just not on the real Playstation.

I loaded the police car the same way by copying C_police over the C_mar file then changing C_cable to C_mar in SF trg. I didn't test this on my Playstation so it may not have loaded either.

There's a BKfact_2 in the BKfact trg file but I can't find that file and it's not mentioned in getting the level to load on the PC version. I don't think this level is going to load.

Like you say finding the THPS2 level files is near impossible and I don't have any of the PC games to check files so I may have gone as far as I can with this. My dream was to get the best levels from each game on one disc.
Demo

Postby Demo » Sun Oct 06, 2013 4:28 pm

files with 2 in filename are used for splitscreen games.
according to this article, it should load on pc version.
but it doesn't work normally in my LevelPack, just crashes when you move few meters forward.
http://planettonyhawk.gamespy.com/View. ... tail&id=62

i tried to import pc version of the level, instead of psx. worked fine, but texturing was messed up.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8dLHFQqtgtU

will look linto final mhpb psx files, maybe those won't crash.
ps80

Postby ps80 » Sun Oct 06, 2013 7:55 pm

I just got the MHPBMX demo level working with no glitches or missing textures :D

I'd like to get it into my other mod but I pasted it over Roswell as I knew the file names. The other problem I have is if I replace the Han_T Hvn_T or B1_T files the level wont load so I don't have a free spot.
Demo

Postby Demo » Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:43 am

good job.
textures are missing only with mhpb pc, cause they changed the format.
the psx version loads fine on pc, but crashes when you touch certain area.
would be funny if it will work if i swap it with another level as well.
ps80

Postby ps80 » Mon Oct 07, 2013 6:03 pm

I didn't play the level very long when it loaded, you're right it crashes when you try to enter the bowl in the middle (though you can skate through it right at the start).
Demo

Postby Demo » Mon Oct 07, 2013 8:29 pm

i'll sort mhpb psx levels soon and try to run those levels on th2 pc.
if that'll work, may try it on psx as well.
ps80

Postby ps80 » Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:56 pm

I'd love to be able to skate the LA HABRA level of MHPBMX

The levels I'd most like to play in THPS2 are

LA HABRA (MHPBMX)
AIRPORT (THPS3)
COLLEGE (THPS4)
KONA (THPS4)
SHIPYARD (THPS4)

added to

SAN FRANCISCO (THPS1)
BURNSIDE (THPS1)
WAREHOUSE (THPS1)
SCHOOL 2 (THPS2)
MARSEILLE (THPS2)

All in one mod would be great.
Demo

Postby Demo » Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:19 am

you can get th3 and th4 level files from levelpack, but airport crashes when you try to hit the glass.

final mhpb factory files are larger, but still crashes in pool. must be something different that th2 can't handle.
ps80

Postby ps80 » Sat Oct 12, 2013 1:26 pm

I just tried Shipyard using the files from the level pack and it worked :D I've gone back to my method which takes longer but I can get it to work.

I noticed in the level pack all the files have their proper names (a6shp_t,a6shp_g,a6shp-l and a6shp_o) are these pc files? I thought ps1 didn't use file names from THPS2

Is there a level pack with the THPS2 files with file names? I think I can use the PC ones. if I had that then I think I can make the mod I hoped to do with my favourite levels from each game on one disc.

I guess I should now try Shipyard on my real psx as it might only work in psxfin like the Tram does.

edit: yep it works on my psx you just can't use the skip to restart. One other thing, I change the Trg for NY and SS to the Shipyard with NY the door to the main building is open but with SS the door is closed. I can't remember if you had to unlock the door in THPS4 to get into the main building?
Demo

Postby Demo » Sat Oct 12, 2013 3:41 pm

skip to restart doesn't work because splitscreen files are not there.
when you use it, for some reason game uses 2player version of the level.

those are psx files, names were taken manually from trg files.
there are properly named thps2 files on pc version, so there is no need to include it in levelpack.

you had to complete the goal in order to unlock it, if i'm not wrong. actionly it was locked on pc as well.
ps80

Postby ps80 » Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:22 pm

Demo wrote:those are psx files, names were taken manually from trg files.
there are properly named thps2 files on pc version, so there is no need to include it in levelpack.

so how were the files identified? I've got the THPS2 files from the WAD and have found all the trg files but how were the .psx _l.psx and _o.psx file identified for each level in THPS3 and 4? I can think of a long way to do it, but if you know a short way?

I added the a6shp_2g.psx file and the skip to restart works now as does the two player mode. Any idea what a6shp_2l.psx is for, as I didn't copy that across and as far as I can tell everything on the level worked.

I tried the college level too and that works fine both in single and two player.

The problem I have now is without the THPS2 file names I'm limited to using Jam, Ros, SF and Mar files which are mostly to small so I can only have one THPS4 level at a time.

Have you had any luck with getting the MHPBMX levels in THPS2? I really want to get La Habra working, though the vehicle might be a problem.
Demo

Postby Demo » Tue Oct 15, 2013 11:55 pm

there were some hand made tools to figure out what's inside and then after i got all of object files i had to guess which is which manually.
actionly this is the same way i'm slowly sorting mhpb files now, but after factory fail i don't really think that'll work fine.

<..>_2l.psx files were probably meant to be used as textures for 2 player mesh, but i noticed as well that some maps worked fine without it.

the way that might work is to add new files to the end of wad, then change file offset and size in hed file, keeping the same checksum.
this way original file order will be same, but checksums will link to the files you've added in the end. but again, only if you'll rebuild image.
ps80

Postby ps80 » Sat Oct 19, 2013 12:06 pm

I've now had Shipyard, College, LA and Airport running.

Is it the glass near the tables and chairs that makes Airport crash? It doesn't crash on psx and I couldn't find any other breakable glass.

I've got Shipyard, Airport, SF and hopefully Burnside and Warehouse all in one mod with both 1 and 2 player working on the psx now.

I've been trying to find the THPS2 files so I can add more but it's not easy.

I was hoping I could use the Treatment plant level from the 2nd MHPBMX demo but I can't get the disc to read.

Return to “Other THPS games modding”