True widescreen?

Discuss thaw modding, post your own, share your ideas, ask questions.
Cla

True widescreen?

Postby Cla » Fri Sep 30, 2011 5:51 am

I notice there's a lot of mods here but none seem to mention aspect ratio. (but since I haven't tested all of them, I don't know for sure) I'm just wondering if any of them provide a solution for true widescreen. (or if there is any known solution period) I know the THAW Launcher lets you customize the res, but typing in a widescreen res (for example, my native res is 1366x768) doesn't make the game truly widescreen. It just stretches the normal 4:3 image.

And a side question, what exactly does Debug Mode allow? Most mods seems to unlock this "Debug Mode" but I don't know what exactly it entails.

Thanks.
ImageImage
quazz

Re: True widescreen?

Postby quazz » Fri Sep 30, 2011 6:58 am

Seeing that THPS4 PC, THUG1 PC, and THUG2 PC are all ports from the Xbox version, the whole thing is simple.

Basically the PS2 version had a screen mode menu in the options menu, and the Xbox version has adjust gamma. On original xbox, the dashboard had an option to set for all games to switch to standard, letterbox, or widescreen automatically for convienence. The PS2 system software didn't have this, so it made the menu in the game. Being that the PC versions are ports from the Xbox version, the script was never changed to enable this menu again. So, any mod should reenable this menu for us with widescreen monitors. Most people never just re-enabled the if statement to show it for PC, but I can gladly say all of my mods will include Screen Mode menu.
Cla

Postby Cla » Fri Sep 30, 2011 5:59 pm

Thanks a bunch for the info. :D Where are your THAW mods? I don't seem to be finding any THAW mods by you in the Downloads section nor the forum.

And I'm noticing that apparently THAW Launcher is supposed to grant access to the widescreen option. But I don't see a widescreen option anywhere in the game. I still get just options for Gamma.
ImageImage
Cla

Postby Cla » Fri Sep 30, 2011 7:01 pm

Yes, I totally bad-mouthed your mod and insulted you because I thought it did something it didn't. Calm the fuck down dude. Multiple searches through out the internet to find a widescreen fix for THAW keep leading me to your mod. Also multiple people in the thread for your mod keep mentioning "widescreen" this and that, and the "16:9 Patches" thread specifically points out your mod as a 16:9 solution for THAW. Is it that difficult to understand my confusion? But now that I have your attention, I humbly request you patch in the in-game "Widescreen" option in your next update since it seems to be a popular demand nowadays that widescreen displays are standard.

Anyway, in the mean time, I'll keep looking for widescreen solutions. I'm trying kõvanikumees's solution, but it's my first time using Queen Bee and I'm a little lost. Though I notice that the end goal here is to save your game after Widescreen is turned on, then you can change the Widescreen option back to Gamma. So, that means I should be able to just edit my save file to turn on Widescreen. (or where ever the widescreen toggle is saved to. Registry?) Can any one direct me on how to go about doing that? Or perhaps provide me with a savefile that already has Widescreen enabled?

Thanks.
ImageImage
Anteara

Postby Anteara » Fri Sep 30, 2011 7:50 pm

Cla wrote:Yes, I totally bad-mouthed your mod and insulted you because I thought it did something it didn't. Calm the fuck down dude.

You shouldn't expect someone to be happy with you bad mouthing their mod, nor should you expect him to accept your apology.

The simplest way to set up widescreen would be to simply edit the script called on a completely unused button. this should only take 2-3 minutes. But I seriously doubt WhoElseButMe will do this for you, it's fucking easy. These forums have SO MUCH guides to help people like you learn how to do this. Just SEARCH, and even if it's not EXACTLY what you need, it's similar to what you need, so just change it. If you search and try hard enough I guarantee you can do this.
Cla

Postby Cla » Sat Oct 01, 2011 4:30 am

Wow... you both totally missed the point...
Cla wrote:Yes, I totally bad-mouthed your mod and insulted you because I thought it did something it didn't.
THAT WAS SARCASM. The point I was trying to make when I said this quote was that I can't believe that WhoElseButMe somehow misconstrued what I originally said as insulting him or the mod in any way, shape, or form. I was just pointing out that I was under the impression it was supposed to do widescreen and thus confused not seeing the option. I was never mad it lacked the option. I was JUST CONFUSED. Geez, I can't believe I have to sit here and explain that this small not-that-serious line was just me saying "How did you mistake what I said as an insult?". Anyway, I'm sorry this got so out of hand. I shouldn't have snapped with sarcasm in the first place.

Anteara wrote:The simplest way to set up widescreen would be to simply edit the script called on a completely unused button. this should only take 2-3 minutes. But I seriously doubt WhoElseButMe will do this for you, it's fucking easy. These forums have SO MUCH guides to help people like you learn how to do this. Just SEARCH, and even if it's not EXACTLY what you need, it's similar to what you need, so just change it. If you search and try hard enough I guarantee you can do this.
Yeah this is what I mentioned in my last post. I didn't have time this morning but I'll give it a try tonight. I was hoping that somebody already had a save file with Widescreen enabled (does that toggle actually get saved to the -Progress file?). If not, I'll be the one to create and share the save file with Widescreen enabled. (if it actually gets saved to the -Progress file rather than the registry or something)

Or perhaps someone can point out where in the save file that the Widescreen option gets written? That would be a lot faster.

EDIT: I got true widescreen working ok and then saved my game. Now I'm just wondering if the widescreen toggle truly saves to the Progress save file. Strangely, when I shut off the game then came back and loaded my save, Widescreen was NOT re-activated automatically. I still had to manually turn it back on. Which isn't necessarily that inconvenient. It's just confusing cause I thought that the Widescreen option is supposed to be saved.
Last edited by Cla on Sat Oct 01, 2011 6:13 pm, edited 5 times in total.
ImageImage
quazz

Postby quazz » Sat Oct 01, 2011 10:36 am

THAW PC is the only PC port in which utilizing direct PS2 statup code, it will save the screen flag to the progress file and load it on startup (yes).

Going to say this even though I will be shot down at will for it: sometimes is a little overly-hostile! JK
Active

Postby Active » Sat Oct 01, 2011 5:39 pm

I really think we need a FAQ for THAw modding only and put it under the rules.. ^^
Cla

Postby Cla » Sat Oct 01, 2011 6:28 pm

So Widescreen doesn't get saved afterall? So many people saying it does, but then now you're saying it doesn't. And in my own experience, I just noticed it indeed does not seem to be saving Widescreen. What's made so many people believed it did?

I did notice while digging around with QueenBee that you could just change the 4:3 FOV to be the same as the 16:9 FOV which would in effect mean that widescreen is always on no matter what. I might go do that. Though I forget where I saw them...
Active wrote:I really think we need a FAQ for THAw modding only and put it under the rules.. ^^
I would think Widescreen was asked about often. But I didn't see it mentioned in the Look here before posting thread. The widescreen solution should definitely be linked in the first post there. Or at the least, detailed in a new message in that thread.
ImageImage
quazz

Postby quazz » Mon Oct 03, 2011 6:59 am

That is obviously the most efficient best way to do this, however I don't think our new member has the intellect to do it just yet.

I believe THAW PC is the only PC port that DOES read the screen setup flag on startup. I know because I've changed my screen option to Widescreen and had saved it, and it does change the screen setup to widescreen at the mainmenu just like on PS2. Mainly because it was not a port of the Xbox version, and it was it's own port with its own wpc file extensions, etc. However, that didn't make it not suck. Turned out to be the worst THPS PC port handling job of all time. The only good thing it had the others didn't was the registry value for windowed could be set.
Anteara

Postby Anteara » Mon Oct 03, 2011 12:31 pm

Theres a tutorial for what explained in the tutorials section under changing text colour. it's not the exact same thing but I've actually done it in THUG 2 and it is pretty easy, OP could probably do it considering everything is already pretty much laid out, he just has to edit a tiny bit of things
Cla

Postby Cla » Sun Oct 09, 2011 5:19 pm

quazz wrote:I believe THAW PC is the only PC port that DOES read the screen setup flag on startup. I know because I've changed my screen option to Widescreen and had saved it, and it does change the screen setup to widescreen at the mainmenu just like on PS2.
Can you share your save file? Either my THAW isn't saving the option, or isn't loading it for some reason. Having a save file where I know the option has been saved will help me test this.
ImageImage
quazz

Postby quazz » Wed Oct 12, 2011 5:35 pm

Return to “THAW modding”